Softball is a new experience for the Wilcox family. As Brooke decided that "Boys Stink" and it would be much funner to play softball with friends from school, we have had to adapt to a new approach to youth sports. It's girls softball (and we have just gotten over the learning curve of girls volleyball with Ali, the BIG learning curve) and we or better said Brooke is a Gold Digger (no idea the significance of the names, last year she was a Flaming Hot Cheeto.
Of course there is "no crying in baseball or softball" (I had that linked to that scene from "League of Their Own" but then playing it back I realized how much cussing there was in the clip, so I unlinked it as this is a family site and Mom just wouldn't approve), but that is hard to learn for a bunch of 9-10 years old that get hit with a ball that contrary to the name is really not that soft.
It is also interesting how many more rules are recognized in the softball leagues that are not in Little League Baseball, like; advancing on a dropped 3rd strike and stealing bases when you wish. The part that is really entertaining are the chants, cheers, and skits performed by the girls in the dugouts during a game. Not only is it perfectly accepting to taunt and make fun of the other team, you are encourages and expected to do it with style. We are not just talking about "pitcher's got a rubber arm"... here are a couple of my favorites:
We don't play with barbie dolls (2 times)
we just play with bats and balls (2 times)
we dont wear no minny skirt (2 times)
we just wear pants and t-shirts (2 times)
we dont drink no lemonade (2 times)
we just drink our powerade (2 times)
so if I were you, I'd scoot your booty back (3 times)
but I'm not you so I'd stay where your at (3 times)
There she goes just a walkin' down the line,
Singin' do‐waa‐diddy‐diddy‐dum‐diddy‐do.
Pointing her finger and laughin' at you,
Singin' do‐waa‐diddy‐diddy‐dum‐diddy‐do.
ball two, ball three, ball four,
C'mon pitcher walk some more.
Do‐waa‐diddy‐diddy‐dum‐diddy‐do,
Next batter up says WALK ME TOO!
2 comments:
Yeah, I'd like to know who coined the term "soft" ball. I love the name gold digger...it sure beats a "pacer" that was the name I had plastered across my chest at that age. I was talking to Lance just yesterday about softball and how crazy we were to sit and chant or sing from the dug out. The songs were so lame and we LOVED every verse. Of course you have to sing each verse twice to get your point across. My personal fave:
Team: Hey Raegan, introduce yourself.
Me: No Way
Team: Hey Raegan, introduce yourself.
Me: Okay. My name is Raegan
Team: Yeah
Me: And I am proud
Team: Yeah
Me: that's why I yell
Team: Yeah
Me: so very loud!
And so it went, on and on, until each girl on the team had "given in" and introduced themselves. And, whomever really was the most proud was the one who could chant it the loudest.
I will pass this along...these cheers are quite entertaining, I think they should add them to Major League Baseball.
Post a Comment