Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Services

Posted by Picasa

(Double-Click on Image for full size)



We returned from Salt Lake early this morning from the funeral services of Grandpa Slagle. Everything was so nice, and the "Sisters/Aunts" (Sue, Sherrie, Shauna, Stef and Shirley) did such a fine job in making sure everything was just right and all the details ironed out.

There were two things that happened this past couple of days that really touched me. The first was seeing the Grandma at his side at the viewing. It is such a symbolic act for what has been their entire marraige together, always at each others sides, always taking care of each other. Such an incredible example for so many to follow.

The second specific instance was during the funeral service there was a musical number where all of the grandchildren and great grandchildren came up and sang "Families are Together Forever". I didn't sing, as well as a few others, but even still there were so many that did. I don't have the count, but there are so many granchilren and great grandchildren it was overwhelming to see the extend of his effect on the world with his posterity. I think there was only one grandchild that couldn't make it because she is on the other side of the world. I don't know the actual counts (it would be interesting to know, name and list), but it was an awesome sight to see everyone there singing, as well as see everyone again. It's a shame that it takes things like this to get everyone together, but all the same what an awesome tribute to such a great man.

Somewhere between Parawon and Fillmore, speeding along to Salt Lake, I put together this slideshow.

Thanks to everyone that sent me pictures to include.

If you listen close, at the end of the slideshow it is actually Grandpa Slagle singing with his bear, that the Mom posted a while back (her one and only post I think). I had thought of including the video, but somehow the audio just seemed to fit a bit better.














You can watch or download a bigger version with this link, the blog format just doesn't allow the native size.

4 comments:

Di said...

Love the pictures and the slide show! Good job! It was such a wonderful service for a wonderful man.

Unknown said...

I was finally able to get all the pictures burned onto a disk. Email me your street address at scrapbookqueen.lw@gmail.com and I'll get the pictures to you. Thank you for letting me include your pictures for the other people that wanted pictures.

rockkinrobbins said...

I am sorry to hear. Love the slideshow!

The Redhead said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the slideshow. I love it but I can't watch it again or I'll use up all the kleenex's in the house.
Jerhi, your family is so grown up and so cute. Good to see you all.